Monday, July 9, 2007

Getting Ready for Nova Scotia Ride

It's July 9 and that means there are only 38 days until I leave on my next big ride of the Summer - an 11 day sojourn up to Nova Scotia. We leave for the Portland, ME ferry on August 16. This trip will have a different feel than the last one. Rather than riding solo as I did on the trip to Natashquan, on this trip I will be accompanied by four other gentlemen. Three of these, twin brothers Reg and Ron, and their bro' in law Boo, will be riding their cruiser bikes, while Swanny will be aboard his trusty SUV. I must say I am both excited and apprehensive about this arrangement. On the one hand, they all seem like great guys who would be fun to travel with. On the other hand, group travel means having to be attentive to the needs-wants of the others in the group. Being alone on the last ride was actually one of the best dimensions of the ride. I did what I wanted, when I wanted, went where I wanted when I wanted - a consensus of one. I never felt lonely.

Already, there are slight divisions in group expectations, and although we have all said that everyone can do what they want, prior experience with small travel groups (even just with my wife) tells me to get ready for endless compromises. Several in the group want to camp (no problem) another is whining about the prospect of rain, one member is a less experienced rider (will that mean we have to go slower than we want?), budget differences? etc. etc.

However, having some friends along does have its obvious positive aspects too.


On the plus side, having the "support vehicle" means expanded recreational options (golf clubs, fishing gear), less disciplined packing on the bike, and also means that if you go out for dinner somewhere, there is a designated driver available.

I must say, I was a little "biked out" after the last trip and haven't ridden much since. If the rain leaves this week I will go for a good ride in the Adirondacks - maybe Thursday with buddy Brad.

I plan no mods for the bike, as it performed spectacularly on the last ride. I will get the 12,000 mile service done before I go and have the guys at BCM give the bike another once over. Oh, I will do one thing: my hand grips are a bit small for my hands so I will have them built up with tennis grip material.

That's all for now. The next post will probably be a preview of the Nova Scotia itinerary.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Already, there are slight divisions in group expectations, and although we have all said that everyone can do what they want, prior experience with small travel groups (even just with my wife) tells me to get ready for endless compromises. Several in the group want to camp (no problem) another is whining about the prospect of rain, one member is a less experienced rider (will that mean we have to go slower than we want?), budget differences? etc. etc. "

Ha haaaa are you having second thoughts??