Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Over to Ketchum

The next day I rode about 400 miles to Ketchum, ID, where I was to meet Mike Bosworth for the next stage of the ride, and visit friends Jay and Gay Weake. No pictures on this section and not too much excitement, except: heading west from Bozeman, I took another "small" road numbered 84. What a treat! Like 78 the day before but even better, lusher, twistier.

I had another "National Geographic" moment. At the bottom of a long hill a came upon the Madison River, a famous trout stream that was wider and deeper than I imagined. After a mile or so I noticed some pelicans in the water to the left, a surprise to me. I thought they were seabirds, and we were about 600 miles from the ocean. As I watched the pelicans, I noticed something on the right side. There about 100 feet ahead, and about 40 feet in the air, was a big golden eagle, flapping its wings feverishly to gain altitude. For what seemed like a few seconds, it seemed to hover over my head before heading out over the river.

The rest of the ride was uneventful; a nice breakfast in Ennis, MT, where I finally met some riders not on cruiser bikes - Ducatis and BMWs; through some famous trout fishing areas, fairly crowded with tourists and over familiar ground in southern Idaho. Finally (I was tired again) up that sweet ride up 75 through Hailey and into Ketchum.

Mike's bike was already parked in Jay's driveway. I found Gay and she mentioned that Jay had taken Mike to the emergency rom, as a precaution after a minor bike mishap on Galena Summit. I hadn't noticed anything wrong with Mike's bike, but when I looked at the other side, sure enough, it was battered and bruised.

To be continued.

No comments: