Monday, June 25, 2007

Home Stretch






From Maynard's, I headed south on Route 6/15 to Greenville, then west on route 16 to rejoin US201. A very pretty ride with mostly good roads. Then south on 201 along the Kennebec River, then south on Alt. 201 to 43 to Farmington. Alt 201 and Route 43 had just been repaved so it was a particulary nice ride through beautiful countryside. After a Dunkin Donut and ATM stop in Farmington, I headed west on Route 2 the main east-west route in this part of the world. what can I say? more nice scenery, passing north of Mt Washington and right into Vermont. many bikers out enjoying the day, which was a sparkler - clear, warmer and gusty.

The definite highlight of this leg of the trip was Bob's BarBQ in Bethel, ME. Bob is a well tattooed gentleman with a shaved head who, from his 60's era orange 20 foot travel trailer, sells some of the best barbeque I have ever had. The trailer is covered with magic marker tributes from previous customers and Bob's favorite line is "I'm not in it for the money". Judging from the quality of the food (even the beans and slaw were superior), I believe him, but judging from the number of people he served while I was there, he is raking in the cash. For the record, I had the beef brisket platter in "wild" seasoning - the other option is "mild". It was great!!

The rest of the ride was very pleasant, through beautiful scenery. In the last quarter mile of the ride, I was reminded of the words of famous traveler Dorothy, "there's no place like home". Here are a few pictures of my neighborhood.

No comments: