Thursday, June 7, 2007

The photograph

The photo (below) was taken in May, 2006 at the top of the Appalachian Gap. I had been riding about a week and for some reason wanted to try out what is probably the #1 "twistie" in the area. I made it to the top in not the most graceful style. I remember a few things about the ride. One, was almost losing it in a hairpin - with a lack of throttle control and downshifting technique - I lurched into the other lane -fumbling about til I found a gear and corrected. luckily there was no oncoming traffic. I must say that is the only nasty situation I have encountered so far. I also remember the exhilaration of making it up (and over) the Gap. Finally, I remember having my doors blown off (figuratively) by some kid on a rice rocket down in the less curvy sections. I was cruising along at a nice clip when I felt and heard this momentary roar beside me. Then he was gone, leaving me with the thought that I have a lot to learn - and so does the guy on the rice rocket.

No comments: