Monday, June 25, 2007

Maynard's in Maine






When I was planning this trip, I had a little extra time at the back end, so I decided to head down into Maine and check out the Moosehead Lake, Maine area. Form the border, I headed down US 201. Right away, the moose factor reared it's ugly head. I had seen moose warning signs all along on this trip, but now there was a moose warning sign with flashing lights and some language to the effect that the moose were really in abundance for the next 15 miles. The sign even provided statisics on the number of moose collisions along that stretch. Okaaay. Well, I didn't see any moose on this stretch, although later on I did. When cresting a hill, I noticed a pick up about 200 yards in front hit the brakes, then noticed a moose, ambling alongside the truck (not in a straight line) just off the road. They are supposed to be unpredictable in their movements and this one certainly was.

My destination was Maymard's in Maine, an 80 year old fishing camp, in Rockwood, ME, on the Moose River, still operated by the Maynard family. It was right out of a movie set, complete with taciturn manager, big old main lodge filled with hunting and fishing trophies, a perky college student from Nova Scotia waiting tables, and tons of interesting memorabilia. I had a two bedroom cabin overlooking the river. It was rustic, but well equipped, including a TV, and best of all, a wood stove, which I used to advantage during the chilly night. After a fine dinner of (really thick) prime rib, I retired to my cabin to catch up on the Yankees (not good) and enjoy some single malt scotch from the duty free shop. After another good night's sleep, and another delicious breakfast, I departed. So let's total it up: A nice little cabin in a great setting, two great meals, tax, etc -- $67.00. my only suggestion on checking out was - "raise your prices!".

No comments: